Caregiver Information and Resources
“There are four kinds of people in this world: those who have been caregivers, those who currently are caregivers, those who will be caregivers, and those who will need caregivers.” — Rosalynn Carter
Caregivers often feel isolated and alone. AGE can change that. Whether you are looking for information, education, ideas, or an understanding ear, we are here to help you as you help your senior loved one navigate the challenges of aging.
We Can Help
- Anyone facing an eldercare crisis who doesn’t know where to turn
- Adult children living far away from aging parents
- Adult children living locally but overwhelmed with financial concerns, logistical issues, career burdens, or a hectic lifestyle
- Families coping with loved ones who have physical disabilities, memory loss or depression
- People who need assistance to maintain their level of independence
- Physicians who are concerned about a patient’s ability to transition home after rehabilitation or a hospital stay
AGE offers educational events, information, resources, and support groups for people who provide care to an aging or disabled adult. Through collaborative relationships, we help to educate the community about the value of caregiving. All of our caregiver services are provided at no cost. Please call us at (512) 600-9275 for assistance and to explore our caregiver resources (se habla español).
Simply call, email, or stop by The AGE Building at 3710 Cedar Street in Austin. We can help you in your search for housing, transportation, physical and mental health resources, financial and legal resources, government benefits, educational and recreational activities, in-home and adult daycare services, and other services for seniors or family caregivers.
Free caregiver seminar are held 4 to 5 times a year, covering various topics related to aging and caregiving. Click here for more information.
"Striking A Balance" Caregiver Conference
The 17th Annual Striking A Balance Caregiver Conference will be held on Saturday, August 25th, at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin -- click here for more information.
Williamson County Caregiver Conference
The 5th Annual Williamson County Caregiver Conference returns to the Wingate by Wyndham Round Rock Hotel & Conference Center on Saturday, September 22nd -- click here for more information.
Free evidence-based training and classes for caregivers and seniors. Click here for more information on CaregiverU.
Monthly Caregiver Support Groups
These support groups are free and not disease-specific: - Round Rock: 2nd Tuesdays of each month from Noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Taylor Education Building of Grace Lutheran Church, 708 Bluff Road, Round Rock, TX 78681. - Austin: 4th Wednesdays of each month from Noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Founder's Room of the AGE Building, 3710 Cedar Street, Austin, TX 78705. For more information, contact volunteer facilitator Barbara Wiederaenders at 512-451-0684.
Other Support Group & Resources
- Lewy Body Dementia Support Group:
– The Austin Lewy Body Dementia Support Group meets on the 3rd Saturday of each month, in Founder’s Room of the AGE Building (3710 Cedar Street, Austin, TX 78705), from 9:30 am to 11:00 am. For more information, contact Tom Clark at (830) 220-9155.
– The North Austin Lewy Body Dementia support group meets the second Monday of every month at Sundara Memory Care (1000 Rusk Road, Round Rock, TX 78665), beginning at 6:00 pm, and is free and open to the public for carers of those with Lewy Body Dementia and those seeking more information about the disease. For more information, please call Sarah Hyde-Williams at (832) 794-8810; to arrange for free respite care during the time of the meeting, call Kelli Hudson at (512) 400-0488.
- Neuropathy Support Groups: The Neuropathy Alliance of Texas offers monthly neuropathy support group meetings featuring educational presentations about “Living Well with Neuropathy,” followed by group discussion for neuropathy patients and caregivers to share ideas, information, resources, problems and solutions with other group members. Anyone affected by neuropathy is welcome to attend:
– Austin West: 2nd Saturday of the month from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm at Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church, Parlor; 7127 Bee Cave Rd., Austin, TX 78746.
– Austin, Northwest Hills: 4th Monday of the month from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm at the Jewish Community Center, Room 150C, 7300 Hart Ln., Austin, TX 78731.
– Georgetown: 2nd Monday of the month from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm at the LakeAire Shopping Center, 2423 Williams Dr, Suite 101, Georgetown, TX 78628.
These support groups do not usually meet in July or December. For more information, contact Neuropathy Alliance of Texas at (512) 553-9130, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://neuropathyalliancetx.or